Tuesday, September 29, 2009

September 29th

An update! I have been so busy here.. 2 classes a day everyday and now I´m starting an art class for younger kids age 7-14. I´m going to start it once a week in October, should be fun, but lots of work too. Things here have been going really well and it feels like I have lived here much longer than just a month so far. The students are really great, and have been enjoying the class and producing great work. Last week, I attended the first official Municipal Cultural Conference in Capim Grosso. This is an amazing thing for the town since it allowed an open forum for locals, including students, artists, teachers, etc. to participate and propose bills to change the current cultural and educational structure. It was an all-day event in which I participated and it was also an opportunity for AEC-TEA to show some of the amazing work produced by students of the Ponto de Cultura (photography program) from last semester; impactful work that focused on social concerns of the town. Charles and I were really excited to present their work to the council and everyone that showed... I think it was also a good experience for the students to recognize that their work is important and can make a difference whether in their community or on a larger scale.

Other than that, things have been going well and I´m having an amazing time getting to know this place better and better everyday. I will try to write more often and hopefully have pictures soon..

No comments:

Post a Comment